As designers, developers, and property professionals work toward embedding green into our city, and buildings celebrate the role of landscape architecture, the community will enjoy the many benefits of enriching our urban biodiversity by building green into Brisbane.
Landscape architecture has never been more integral to sustainable urban growth and quality of life in bursting cities.
There are significant gains for high density urban communities when landscape architects apply principles which maximise the value of external spaces and integrate greenery into the building. We love the example of Park Royal on Pickering.
We have identified eight significant gains, these are:
- Assist in reducing our energy needs.
- Help reduce the distribution of dust and particulate matter throughout the city. This can play a role in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and adapting urban areas to a future climate.
- Help reduce the ‘urban heat effect’ commonly experienced in densely populated areas.
- Planting filters out toxins in the air.
- Help cultivate a variety of invertebrates, and provide a habitat for various bird species. By acting as a stepping stone habitat for migrating species, they can link species together, that would otherwise be fragmented.
- Offer health benefits for the inhabitants of the property, can increase the inhabitant’s mental and physical health.
- Help to reduce noise pollution, as planting can absorb sound waves, reducing the damaging effects of high levels of ongoing noise to your hearing and health – hearing impairment, hypertension and ischemic heart disease, annoyance and sleep disturbance.
- Create community and psychological well-being, as outdoor spaces serve as community hubs that help build social cohesion, sense of community, and public safety.
- Create opportunities for urban agriculture practices.
Our team enjoy being able to create beautiful communal spaces and outdoor environments, which not only increase a building’s marketability, but more importantly, enrich our urban biodiversity by building green.
If you would like more information on how to integrate greenery and thereby maximise the appeal and building’s marketability, through our Landscape Architecture services, feel free to contact our team.